Catholics therefore set up a geographical and ceremonial counterpart of the queen mother at the capital. No sooner did Streicher arrive at Villa Maria than the chiefs, led by Lui Kibanyi, suggested a chapel for the Virgin Mary on the top of the neighbouring hill, Kyawangabi. It was a little over a mile from the mission. The chiefs co-operating in building the chapel, which was finished in July 1892. Here the neophytes went to thank Mary for the gift of Baptism, wives begged for children, catechumens asked for the ‘miracle’ to pass the baptism examination. Every Saturday from July 1892, mass was said at this chapel. The congregation was larger than on ordinary days. Every Sunday after mass, groups of Christians with their chiefs climbed the hill to pay homage (kukiika) to Namasole. Before and after examination for baptism, it had become a practice to go up the hill running to ask or to thank Mary. Those who had passed would run up shouting, singing and at full speed, while those who had failed walked slowly, often weeping but at the same time not completely discouraged.
On all Marian feasts of solemnity, after mass at the mission processions climbed the hills to Kyawangabi, singing hymns or reciting the rosary. At the top, Benediction was celebrated, a homily given and guns fired. All other Buddu missions followed the same practice. At Bikira the chapel was completed at the end of 1893, that of Kooki in May 1896. Henceforth all the White Fathers’ missions in Uganda were named after Mary despite Livinhac’s original wish in 1879 to put the second mission under the protection of the Sacred Heart and another under the patronage of St. Joseph”. (Source: Waliggo, J., Christianity and the African imagination: Essays in Honour of Adrian Hastings, Brill, 2013, pp. 87-88.